WHAT A STRANGE TRIP IT’S BEEN – from the Emergency room to OJAI

1236806_1446196045604920_1622524956_nWHAT A CRAZY TWENTY FOUR HOURS- EMERGENCY ROOM TO OJAI— This past friday I woke up at 7am and started doing my normal activities , getting breakfast for my kids,cleaning around the house and making my way to vacuum the car. This was around 8:30 am, so I have been told. The last thing I remember was bending down to pick something up in my car. What I would find out is I passed out when I was laying in the front seat cleaning. My two daughters found me laying unconscious and thought I was kidding, so they tried to tickle and wake me up. However, they realized something was wrong and called my wife. She immediately called my neighbor Jennifer and they called the ambulance and the fireman. They kept checking my pulse an told me my words were very hard to understand. The medics did some tests and ruled out some things , but they wanted to take me to the E.R. They said I didn’t want to go , but thankfully I was forced. My wife had to juggle taking care of kids and me – so Jen focused on the me and the girls, Erika told the school and everyone else pinched in like a great team does. I spent the next five hours in the E.R.with my wife, my best friend and brother – Brian and Julie the super nurse. While in the hospital they ran some more test’s and everything came back fine. I was on some medication for my stomach, didn’t drink enough liquids and low blood sugar contributed to my fainting. While I was in there I supposedly called or had my wife call a couple of people – including my two wonderful angels Molly and Katelyn and told them I loved them and I was o.k. My molly asked Jen” if I was going to keep talking weird” . I was finally discharged at 2pm and went home. I gave my kids the biggest hug and spent a little throwing up. I finally got some food and liquids in my system and began to feel better. As I write this I still have this five hour window that I don’t remember, except what my family and neighbors have told me. That afternoon I was to co – lead a retreat in Ojai. starting at three o’clock with Kim Fisch, I laid on the couch and after talking to the family and nurse I decided, I would go to the retreat. I knew I couldn’t drive, so I asked my friend Halina to take me. We left at five thirty on friday afternoon. Needless to say it took us a while to get up there. We rolled in at seven thirty. Still feeling out of sorts and nervous. I was instantly warmed by the welcome of 35 beautiful Yogis. Some people I have never met before and yet they opened there arms and hearts. I knew I made the right choice to come up. I called my family numerous times and reassured them. For the next two days as I taught, smiled and cried with the group, my body, mind and heart began to heal from all the stress.
When we love, we are loved. When we care, there is care for us. When we help, there is help ! The ironic thing is I went up to inspire and teach others the power of our practice and in the interim they all did that for me. This picture was taken on sunday morning which was less then twenty hours later after from being in the E.R.
I believe we can learn from everything that happens to us and I like to think that someone wanted me to feel all the love and support of so many wonderful human beings over the course of two days: All neighbors on center street and all my friends who lent a hand, call or text. The heart warming support of all who gathered for our retreat — Kim for holding the fort without a hick up. The food Prepared by Caspar Poyck, really helped my body get nourished. My close friends . My Mother, brothers and sister who just listened and lent encouraging words and love
My wife Jane who was so strong and caring, while trying to wake me up, holding me in her arms. And the two most precious little beings in my life — my Molly and Katelyn, who showed tremendous courage and resilience in a tough situation, seeing their daddy taking a long sleep had to be really scary !
So many times we pass each other on the street or in the store and get so caught up in our lives, that we don’t always take the time to acknowledge one another. But on this friday so many did drop what they were doing to do wonderful things that helped me and my family to be safe. Thank you to the medics in the ambulance, hospital and firetruck. By the way I heard they were all very cute !
I look back and feel lucky.Thank god I wasn’t driving or doing anything else where I could have done more damage to myself or other’s around me ! In many ways this was the perfect situation to have this situation, if you know what I mean. There is a fantastic saying from a College basketball coach – Jim Valvano, that says it all — “
To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special.”
NAMASTE ! What a fantastic birthday gift .


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s